Directions: There are 40 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE that best completes the sentence, and then you should mark the corresponding letter on the ?Answer Sheet.
1. He will be sad when he ?the bad news.
A. hearB. is hearingC. will hearD. hears
2. I took the glass very carefully lest it .
A. should damageB. would damage
C. had damagedD. should be damaged
3. The time will come ?man can fly to ?he likes in the universe.
A. how; whereB. when; whereverC. where; whereD. what; which
4. —I usually go there by train.
—Why not ?by boat for a change?
A. to try goingB. trying to goC. to try and goD. try going
5. —Shall I tell John about it?
—No, you . I’ve told him already.
A. needn’t B. wouldn’tC. mustn’tD. shouldn’t
6. He always did well at school ?having to do parttime jobs every now and then.
A. in spite ofB. regardless ofC. on account ofD. in case of
7. Young ?he is, he knows what is the right thing to do.
A. thatB. asC. althoughD. however
8. We were not surprised at , for he had worked so hard.
A. what has he achievedB. that what he had achieved
C. what he had achievedD. that he had achieved
9. The chair looks rather hard, but it is very comfortable to .
A. sitB. sit onC. be satD. be sat on
10. is known to the world, Mark Twain is a great American writer.